Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Greenan castle walk



Burns cottage

Yesterday, because it looked a bit showery Anne and I just took a local stroll.
We just managed to get back before the worst of the two hour downpour, it poured down till 3pm then the sun popped out and so did I, up Goldenberry Hill to admire the views in the cool clear air.

Today looked much the same so we opted for a sheltered walk down at Alloway out to Greenan Castle and back through the local parks.
I made the mistake of trying to walk all of the railway old railway track only to be reminded how rubbish (muddy and overgrown) the first bit is to the Tam O'Shanter visitor centre.
Its much better just to loop round Rozelle and go to Alloway on the road past burns cottage.

From here we ignored the new tarmac in favour of a coffee stop, a visit to Burns Garden and the Auld Brig O'Doon before going down to the new tarmac trail.
Although the walking is easier it feels like a quiet track has been given OTT treatment, from a sometimes muddy singletrack its now virtually a minor road.
I was hoping it might have been extended out to the Carrick Hills road but no sign of that happening as yet, so I don't really follow what the reasoning is behind the upgrade.
Its nice enough I suppose linking the cycleway to Alloway but I'm prepared to bet the track will flood at the west end in the winter.
It always tended to get very muddy, its low lying and I don't see any evidence of drainage so I think the track will just hold the water, hope I'm wrong.

The tide was well out down by Greenan Castle and we had a lovely walk below the castle crag then back through Bellisle Park.
Anne reminded me how many years its been since we had our wedding reception in Bellisle house, only one week until our next anniverary, a good excuse for a bit of over indulgence, not that I need much of an excuse.


Walk description here

Some Ayr pictures here.

A very short video here.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jinxx said...

And i thought it was just me that thought that they had ruined the trail, the trail itself is superb, but they have killed off most of the trees and plants, makes the trail kind of boring now

11:25 AM  
Blogger Whee said...

Yeah! Now instead of mud its just dull and I don't understand what they are doing at the Alloway end but time will reveal all.

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter