Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Dundonald Castle is open for visits


















Munnoch reservior near Dalry Ayrshire

Yesterday looked like the best day of the week according to the Met Office web site, unfortunately Tom was on builder watch duty so no cycling for him poor chap!
I decided to get out on the road, recent rain has softened up the local MTB trails and I didn't fancy all that mud on a nice dry day.
I like getting out on the road bike when the sun shines and there's no wind.
I arranged with Anne for a pick up at Dundonald and set off not exactly sure which route to go. It turned out quite a bit less than direct, over to Dalry, Kilmaurs and Crosshouse but all very pleasant.
Dundonald castle and visitor centre is now open for the summer, one of my favourite stops.
When the weather's nice they put a table outside and being south facing and sheltered its a lovely spot for a coffee and cake stop.
After coffee its worthwhile walking up to the castle, the view from the hill is quite something, across to Arran and north to Ben Lomond over the Muirshiel hills.
Anne arrived and after coffee and cake we had an hours walk around Dundonald hill trails, lots of lovely primroses on show but only one bluebell to be seen.
It'll be a few weeks yet before there at their best, a spring treat to look forward to.

I'd originally thought I'd get a lift home in the car but it was so nice I decided to cycle back, so glad I did cause it was great, through Eglinton to Kilwinning Abbey and the shore cycleway.

Lovely days cycle, view a SB video of it here.

Photos here

Similar route description here.

Actual route on map my ride.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter