Wednesday, June 18, 2008

GPS - GPX saga














Splash on Irvine valley trails

About a years ago I bought Scotland digital mapping by Anquet thinking about investigating possibilities for Scottish multi day through routes. The Anquet mapping is great and with web resources and various books I generated info on multi day possibilities but since getting my birthday GPS (eTrex Vista HCx) I've been searching the web for an integrated package allowing route making on a detailed map, conversion to GPX for sharing and sharing options, Anquet doesn't generate GPX (as far as I can tell anyway) but does accept and display GPX routes.
Its taken some time but I discovered I was already a member of a site that does it all www.mapmyride.com, well all I've thought about so far. The only limitation is on map detail, some areas it just isn't there.
My favourite cycle shop Walkers Cycles has a resource there, members can upload and download rides in lots of formats GPS ready. I've uploaded a few and all seems fine...so far anyway.

Irvine valley trails (one of many options) can be viewed here.

Short video part Irvine valley trails and part Seamill.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
Anquet does support GPX – you can both load and save GPX files. We currently have an HCX eTrex unit in the office, and we will shortly be adding support for this unit. If you are subscribed to the Anquet newsletter, you will get notified of this when it occurs.
I hope you are enjoying the mapping.
Kind Regards,
The Anquet Team

8:27 AM  
Blogger Whee said...

Just had a look again and its dead easy to save a GPX file. Wish I'd noticed before I went all round the houses trying to do it another way.
Thanks very much for the pointer, I might never have noticed it otherwise.

Thanks again.

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just recently bought myself a Garmin Forerunner and I'm loving the novelty of posting my rides on the web.

I haven't tried it yet but the navigation features are supposed to be decent. I need to upload a few routes and see how it works - it doesn't show landmarks, just your route and where you are in relation to it so I'm not sure how good it'll be!

Colin
Mountain Bikes Apart - Scotland based trail blog

9:39 AM  
Blogger Whee said...

Im at the same state but have splashed out on uploadable mapping, might as well get all the fun out of it and maybe get lost a bit less.... although I quite like being a little bit lost.

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter